2022 PRI²DE Creative Camp Movable Chair International Design Competition
Posted on: May 14th, 2022
HKRI launched the “PRI²DE Creative Camp” Young Designers Development Programme in 2019, with the aim to build a platform for showcasing creative work and provide opportunities for young designers and artists to put their work into practice.
Hosted jointly by HKRI and the international competition platform, Young Bird Plan, the initiative is aimed at collecting design works of movable chairs from around the world. Using HKRI’s successful projects in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Bangkok as launchpads, the key thematic element “45” was chosen to celebrate HKRI’s 45th anniversary.
With the goal of creating a sense of place and delighting users through creative works from talented designers worldwide, the competition is aimed at bringing vitality to a variety of indoor and outdoor public spaces in Discovery Bay of Hong Kong, HKRI Taikoo Hui and The Sukhothai Bangkok. It also showcases the forward thinking and creativity of the HKRI brand through online and offline publicity, which helps increase awareness among the global design industry practitioners.
Requirements / Eligibility
- The Entrant is required to choose either Discovery Bay, HKRI Taikoo Hui or one of the hotels from The Sukhothai Hotels & Resorts (in Bangkok or Shanghai) as the scene for its design. The design for the movable chair should revolve around eco-friendly towns or grey spaces in commercial projects in the core areas of the city, including shopping malls, residences, hotels, clubs, waterfront promenades, and leisure squares. Whether they are intended for indoor, semi-outdoor or outdoor use, the chairs must be easy to carry and display.
- The design should reflect HKRI’s brand story, revealing in particular the theme element “45,” which celebrates HKRI’s 45th anniversary.
- There are no restrictions in terms of materials, but the use of recyclable and environmentally friendly materials are encouraged.
- Practicality and functionality of the chair design shall be taken into account. The prototype can be 3D printed.
1.The Competition is aimed at nurturing and supporting young designers. Entrants may participate as individuals or in groups. However, each group shall not exceed 3 persons. The team leader of each Entrant shall be under 35 years of age.
- The Competition is open to professionals, students and amateurs with a background in design and art, including but not limited to product design, interior design, architectural design, landscape design and public art.
- Each registration number can submit a maximum of 2 entries. If you wish to submit more than 2 entries, you should register separately to obtain another registration number.
- All team members must register on the designverse’s official website in advance, and then be invited by the team leader to complete the team formation. For frequently asked questions, please browse the Q&A section on the official website.
Submission / Key Dates
- The design proposal should be presented on no less than 2 sheets of A2 vertical drawings (a maximum of 5), which should be clear and readable (with a margin of 10mm), including:
- Short description: No more than 1,200 words, with details about the materials and technical processes used;
- Registration number: Located on the upper right corner of the drawing and set in 20 point Arial font.
- Drawings should include elevation, axonometric, renderings, detail drawing, model drawing or exploded views.
- Drawings can be submitted in JPG format (no larger than 10MB for each sheet).
- The proposal’s title shall be as simple as possible. File name should be saved in the following format: Registration No. – Proposal Title
- The submitted proposal shall be in English or bilingual (English and Chinese).
- When drawings and text are submitted online, the work shall be placed within the frame provided by the Organisers.
- The cover, which is the key visual image of your design work, must be submitted online and uploaded as 1045×654 pixel, 72 dpi, less than 2MB.
- All drawings and descriptive text must not disclose any of the Entrant’s identity information (such as Name, School Name/ Organisation Name). Any violation of this policy will result in the Entrant’s disqualification.
2022.4.14 Call for entries
2022.6.19 Submission deadline
2022.6.29 Release of shortlisted winners
2022.8.01 Release of Top 10 & public voting
2022.8.14 Public voting deadline
2022.8.17 Release of Top 3, the Champion & Special Award for Sustainable Materials
The above timeline is for reference only. The specific timing is subject to the designverse’s official website.
About the Organizer
HKR International Limited has diversified interests in real estate development and investment, property management, luxury hotels and other investments in China and across Asia. We strive to create a healthy, stylish and distinctive living experience through teamwork and an unwavering commitment to innovation and excellence. The Company’s diverse portfolio includes Discovery Bay and CDW Building in Hong Kong, HKRI Taikoo Hui in Shanghai, and a number of premium residential properties in Shanghai, Jiaxing and Hangzhou as well as The Sukhothai Bangkok and apartments, etc. HKRI has been listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong since 1989, under the Stock Code of 00480. Website: www.hkri.com
Young Bird Plan
Founded in 2013 by Isa Ye, Young Bird Plan, is an international competition platform for global design talents. With three key elements – fabrication, mentor guidance and an interdisciplinary jury – it is fast becoming a leading voice in global design fields like urban design, architecture design, landscape design, interior design, product design, logo design and fashion design. In the past five years, it has attracted participants from 1,045 top design institutions and 4,257 top design agencies domestically and worldwide, covering 310 cities in 75 countries.
The platform constantly connects and meets various demands from political, business, and academic circles and actively fills supply and demand gaps among designers, manufacturers, developers, urban operators and users. We are committed to design and innovation, and offering opportunities for creative minds around the world to participate in the creation process, so as to propel the implementation of design projects and products focusing on urban spaces and life aesthetics. Young Bird Plan is devoted to pushing urban development and offering high-quality solutions to product updates. As one of the most influential design competition platforms around the world, and based on approximately 30 competitions held in the past 9 years, we make every effort to create opportunities for young designers
Modern cities feature many underutilised grey spaces on public or private lots including areas under expressways, open spaces between residential buildings, unused parts of shopping malls, hidden corners in leisure plazas and public spaces inside hotels. The question is how to unlock the potential of these grey spaces through creative design? How to create more rest areas and leisure spots in bustling cities? Building upon the motto “We Create a Lifestyle”, HKR International (HKRI) strives to provide the best solution.
Panel of Judges
- Founder of Moma Design
- Dean of Future Design OGI of Shanghai Tsinghua International Innovation Center
- Director of Industrial Design Innovation Center Around ECUST
- Founder and design director of YANG DESIGN and YANG HOUSE, Collector, Most Influential Chinese Industrial Designer by Forbes.
- Founder & Creative Director of JRS
- Managing Director of HKRI
- Fellow Member of The Hong Kong Institute of Architects
- Founder of YoungBird
- Founder of designverse
- Match HKRI’s vision, mission and values. The design should showcase HKRI’s 45th anniversary by integrating the theme element “45”.
- Vision: To be the pioneer of innovative living space.
- Mission: We strive to create a healthy, stylish and distinctive living experience through teamwork and passionate pursuit of innovation and excellence.
- Values: PRI²DE – Pioneer – Break new grounds; Respect – Value the individual and cherish our environment; Innovation – Think outside the box; Integrity – Uphold high ethical standards; Devotion – Be committed and passionate; Excellence – Consistency in the pursuit of quality standards.
Read More: Architecture Competitions
- Creative and contemporary: The overall design should be modern and aesthetically impressive.
- Integrated: Inject vitality into commercial and community spaces to create an artistic lifestyle experience for users.
- Practical and movable: The work shall be able to execute in the real world. The prototype can be 3D printed and easy to transport.
- Sustainable: The use of materials for environmental protection and recyling is encouraged.
| Student Competition
| Furniture Design
| Product Design