Urban Open Spaces
In a dense urban fabric streets act as linear elements connecting people, and places. Whereas, the open spaces that occur at regular intervals, at various scales, give the sense of pause and purpose to the built environment.
The idea of this exercise was to make the students experience open spaces of various scales, understand various activities happening in these spaces at different times, understand the kind of functions that develop around these open spaces, and also understand the logic behind their placement and distribution in the urban fabric.
In the groups of four, students were asked to identify five open spaces from within the old city of Vadodara. These five spaces should possibly cover different scales from the entire city; starting from the smallest open space between two/three houses to the large open spaces meant for the entire city.
Range of open spaces
- Smallest open space; between two/three houses
- Open space at the cluster level
- Open space at the individual pole(street) level
- Open space at the neighbourhood level
- Largest open space the the city level
Criteria for study
- Physical mapping of the spaces: plans, sections, photographs
- Activity mapping at different times of the day, at different times of the year
- People: Different age group using the open space
Awesome work. Congrats!
Thanks a lot, do visit again…